Skip to main content
Local News

Seven Candidates Vie for Peterborough Mayor as Election Field Finalizes

PTBO Today.caAuthor
Published
Reading time1 min
Share:
Seven Candidates Vie for Peterborough Mayor as Election Field Finalizes

Our community now knows who will compete for seats on Peterborough city council this fall. The nomination period closed at 2 p.m. on Friday, August 21, setting the stage for what promises to be a competitive municipal election on Monday, October 26.

According to the City of Peterborough's list of uncertified candidates, seven people have registered to run for mayor while 28 candidates will compete for the 10 councillor positions — two seats in each of the city's five wards.

Rob Hailman submitted his nomination papers Friday morning, becoming the final entrant in the mayoral race. He joins Rebecca Schillemat, Keith Riel, Neil Morton, Jacob Méthot, Brian Lumsden, and Michael Eamon in the contest to lead city council.

The race opened up Thursday morning when incumbent mayor Jeff Leal announced he would not pursue a second term, citing health-related issues and a desire to spend time with his family.

Hailman serves as director of operations for non-profit Trent Radio and works as a business manager and contributor to Trent University's student newspaper Arthur. The musician and broadcaster has built a reputation as a community advocate through his board service with organizations including the Canadian Journalism Collective and Kawartha Turtle Trauma Centre.

Regular viewers of city council meetings will recognize Hailman as a frequent delegate who has sharply criticized the current council. At a June 1 council meeting where councillors debated a winter shelter response plan, Hailman said "the majority of our council are wilful murderers and the remainder are collaborators," according to kawarthaNOW, referring to council's approach to homelessness.

The council races show varying levels of competition across the city's wards. Northcrest Ward has drawn the most interest with eight candidates, while Ashburnham Ward has just four contenders.

In Northcrest Ward, incumbent Andrew Beamer faces seven challengers after his fellow incumbent Dave Haacke announced months ago he wouldn't seek re-election. Dennis Nephrin joined the race as the latest candidate. Nephrin took over organizing Kawartha Ribfest after the Rotary Club of Peterborough Kawartha said in December 2024 it would step away from the annual event. He'll compete against Jim Wasson, Gavin Muir, Charmaine Magumbe, Paul Lawton, Phil Jolicoeur, and Debbie Halstead.

Otonabee Ward will see five candidates compete after Jessica Correa withdrew her nomination Wednesday. In a social media post, Correa explained that "a concern regarding my candidacy was raised with my employer, triggering an additional and more formal review," according to kawarthaNOW.

"I was advised that continuing my candidacy was no longer considered compatible with my current professional responsibilities," Correa added, according to kawarthaNOW. She's the second Otonabee Ward candidate to withdraw after Noella Koshul dropped out in May and endorsed Correa.

The remaining Otonabee Ward candidates include incumbents Kevin Duguay and Lesley Parnell, along with newcomers Lucas Graham, Joe Laton-Trickett, and Chris Potter. Graham previously ran as a provincial Green Party candidate.

Monaghan Ward appears set for a six-way race. Incumbent Matt Crowley will face competition from Aris Metaxakis, who registered last week, plus AJ Shearer, Jen Lacey, Rose Kitney, and Ashley Flynn. Metaxakis works as a local evangelist and pastor. Incumbent Don Vassiliadis does not appear on the updated candidate list as of Friday afternoon, suggesting he's decided against running for re-election.

Town Ward drew five candidates including both incumbents. Alex Bierk and Joy Lachica will defend their seats against Nigel Lister, Jessica Kuhlmorgen-Hille, and Jenni Cathcart. Lister serves as vice-chair of the Peterborough Downtown Business Improvement Area board and leads the Peterborough and District Construction Association as president. He previously worked as a market development manager at Cambium Consulting & Engineering.

Ashburnham Ward has four candidates vying for two seats. Incumbent Gary Baldwin is the only sitting councillor running for re-election in the ward, as Keith Riel has entered the mayoral race instead. Baldwin faces Andrew MacGregor, Ashley Bonner, and Jason Stabler.

Voters will head to the polls on Monday, October 26 to choose their next mayor and council representatives.

Share:

Related Stories

Missing Pilot Found Dead in Submerged Aircraft Near Minden Hills
Local News

Missing Pilot Found Dead in Submerged Aircraft Near Minden Hills

A 73-year-old experienced pilot who vanished after departing Oshawa Executive Airport has been found deceased inside his home-built aircraft, which was discovered underwater in Wolfe Lake. The extensive multi-day search involved multiple agencies across the Kawartha Lakes region.

8/20/2026
PTBO Today.ca
Third Set of Remains Discovered on Kelly Jordan Road
Local News

Third Set of Remains Discovered on Kelly Jordan Road

Ontario Provincial Police have identified human remains found on a rural property as those of Lawrence Bertrim, who vanished in 2022. The discovery marks the third missing person found at the same location in less than a year.

8/19/2026
PTBO Today.ca